Monday, April 2, 2012

Books and Resources and Hashtags Oh My


Thanks @tomwhitby!

"Make an education book recommendation with the hashtag #Edbook and watch the list grow when you search #Edbook #Edchat"

With this simple tweet, @tomwhitby started a posting frenzy which resulted in enough books for your next five summer reading lists. Additionally, he artfully gave a real world lesson for new 'twitterers' on the usefulness of hash tagging. If you are still unfamiliar with this term - hashtag - and think 'hash' is a breakfast food or something else entirely (shame on you by the way), it is also the term for creating a network of like minded people in Twitter. By adding the # sign in front of any term you can create a hashtag- or network. Hashtags are used to help us find resources and people we are most interested in. Tom recently created #edbook and a simple request to add you favorite education book. Within hours countless educators proudly posted their favorite titles. Simple, useful, fast... "Twitter"

Here is OUR list, enjoy, and thank @tomwhitby for organizing us. Think of the endless possibilities for new hashtags...who will create the next? follow me @drgentile_mps 

Summer Reading List
....and suggestions for people worth following



Thomas Newkirk's 'The Art of Slow Reading'

Allison Rodman @thelearningloop
 
Neil Postman's TEACHING as a SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITY. Read it 35 years ago and still feel it's relevant!

The Courage to Teach, Parker J. Palmer: not methods but inspiration. Have to reread every so often. #Edbook


Agreed! RT @ashollinger: BLINK and also TIPPING POINT & OUTLIERS by Malcolm Gladwell. Rlly gd laymn treatises on th brain & trnds.
Fascinating book. RT @syded06: @tomwhitby Freakonomics by Dubner and Levitt gets my vote #Edbook

Thanks to @tomwhitby for a summer reading list. I would add "Drive" by Dan Pink to put teacher evaluation in perspective.

@Donna_Jean_K (Thks - glad you liked it!) #edbook Tongue Fu! at School by Sam Horn

BLINK by malcolm gladwell

One of my favorite reads: Writing for Real by Burkhardt

Just finished reading She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. English teachers rock. Frank McCourt's 'Tis is also an amazing read.

#Edbook the Conspiracy Book Series. My students LOVE them. It has gotten my non readers to read!

RT @Cantiague_Lead: What Great Principals Do Differently is a must read for new administrators! @ToddWhitaker #edbook

"Mindset" by Carol Dweck #edbook bit.ly/H2RcyL


I thought The Book Whisperer and Digital Writing, Digital Teaching were really good reads. Practical, but easy to digest.

 @jmheitz: I sugget Leaders of Learning by Marzano and DeFour.

The five dysfunctions of a team by Patrick Lencioni #edbook

Fires In The Bathroom by Kathleen Cushman. Great for a student's perspective.

Brain Rules by John Medina

Unequal Childhoods: Class, Race, & Family Life by Annette Lareau

I recommend Coaching Conversations #edbook . Not too long and packed with good ideas.

Subtractive Schooling: U.S. Mexican Youth and the Politics of Caring by Angela Valenzuela #Edbook

RT @Folmerica: I recommend "Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions" bit.ly/naU1U2 #Edbook // thank you!

Are We There Yet? By Alison Lester. Amazing 4 primary/elementary


Teach Like Your Hair is On Fire - #edbook

I reread it every year! “@Cantiague_Lead: What Great Principals Do Differently is a must read for new administrators! @ToddWhitaker #edbook

I sugget Leaders of Learning by Marzano and DeFour. #Edbook


Oldie but goodie: HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE by Dale Carnegie (Note: this isn't manipulative; it's about changing POV)

WHERE GOOD IDEAS COME FROM by Steven Johnson

SPARK by John Ratey #Edbook

Left Back by @ DianeRavitch amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg… #edbook

THE ELEMENT by Ken Robinson #Edbook

"Mindset" by Carol Dweck #edbook
"Now You See It and Curriculum 21 #edbook

Build the passion for teaching reading by reading The Readaloud Handbook. #edbook

TRANSFORMATIVE CHANGE THEORY LUCY STANDS ON HER PRINCIPAL amazon.com/dp/B005X0VCL8 LUCY CRACKS HER HEAD amazon.com/dp/B0061XKDBG

@tomwhitby The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell isn't really about education, but every educator should read it. Amazing. #Edbook

@tomwhitby how about "Heading for Home" by education & motivational speaker, Kent Stock. #Edbook #edspeaker.


OBJECTIVE: Engaging Reading LUCY STANDS ON HER PRINCIPAL amazon.com/dp/B005X0VCL8 LUCY CRACKS HER HEAD amazon.com/dp/B0061XKDBG #hyfa2 #Edbook

Zapp in Education #Edbook


#Edbook Never Work Harder Than Your Students by Robyn Jackson

RT @davezirk: #edbook The Death and Life of the Great American School System by @DianeRavitch amazon.com/Death-Great-Am… #edchat #njed

Teaching with Intention, by Debbie Miller #Edbook

THE MOTIVATION BREAKTHROUGH by Richard Lavoie -- a MUST #Edbook

#edbook The Death and Life of the Great American School System by @DianeRavitch amazon.com/Death-Great-Am… #edchat #njed

WHAT IT IS by Lynda Barry (more for Eng teachers, but still valuable) #Edbook

MADE TO STICK and also SWITCH, both by Dan and Chip Heath. #Edbook

#Edbook A Place for Wonder. First audience is elementary but application at all ages. Loved it!

+1“@Donna_Jean_K: @tomwhitby 21st Century Skills by Trilling&Fadel #edbook

#edbook Tongue Fu! at School by Sam Horn

#Edbook Why Do I Need a Teacher When I've Got Google? By Ian Gilbert

@tomwhitby Mindset by Carol Dweck and Pathways to the Common Core by Lucy Calkins #Edbook

#edbook Linchpin by Seth Godin
#edbook Made to Stick by Chip & Dan Heath

@tomwhitby 21st Century Skills by Trilling&Fadel #edbook

Anthropologist on Mars: Oliver Sacks #Edbook #hopetechschool

RT @Donna_Jean_K: @tomwhitby The Virtual Student by Palloff & Pratt #Edbook

Creating a Digital-Rich Classroom is another awesome resource for educators! #Edbook #

@tomwhitby #edbook #edchat #cpchat Managing People is like Herding Cats by Warren Bennis

One Size Doesn't Fit All: Differentiated Instructional Strategies #Edbook #Edchat

How Children Fail John Holt. An oldie bit goodie #edchat #Edbook

@tomwhitby Mindset by Carol Dweck. #Edbook #edchat

Driven by Data by Paul Bambrick. #edbook

Making Learning Whole by David Perkins. #Edbook #edchat

@tomwhitby #Edbook Chain Gang Elementary goo.gl/8oX1h

What Great Principals Do Differently- Whitaker

@tomwhitby Disrupting Class by Clayton christianson. #Edbook

Whatever It Takes #edbook #edchat

@tomwhitby Freakonomics by Dubner and Levitt gets my vote #Edbook

My recommendation: "Finnish Lessons: What Can the World Learn from Educational Change in Finland?" #Edbook #edchat amazon.com/Finnish-Lesson…

#Edbook @tomwhitby A Whole New Mind by @DanielPink #Edchat

#Edbook Passion Driven Classroom: Transform your classroom into a place that cultivates passions instead of facts. #edchat

RT @Cantiague_Lead: What Great Principals Do Differently is a must read for new administrators! @ToddWhitaker #edbook

I recommend "Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions" amazon.com/gp/aw/d/161250… #Edbook

#Edbook "Fair Isn't Always Equal", by Rick Wormeli

RT @bethbarz: @tomwhitby #Edbook Drive by @DanielPink - understanding how to motivate students is pure gold in terms of pedagogy.

The World is Flat and Freakonomics #Edbook

The Tone of Teaching by van Manen influenced me #Edbook #sd76

A very thought-provoking read: Mike Schmoker's Results Now #Edbook #Edchat

My most recent fav is Drive by Daniel Pink. It will make you rethink everything you do with motivation in your classroom. #edbook

#Edbook Mosaic of Thought- finally pushed me into workshop

The Book of Learning & Forgetting by Frank Smith has also been very helpful... #edbook #edchat

More recently I really enjoyed @paultough's "Whatever It Takes" about the Harlem Children's Zone. Great universal lessons. #Edbook #Edchat
I still think about reading Howard Gardner's "The Disciplined Mind" when I was at Teacher's College. #Edbook #Edchat

RT @Cantiague_Lead: What Great Principals Do Differently is a must read for new administrators! @ToddWhitaker #edbook

My number 1 #Edbook is "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Paulo Freire. #edchat #Education

RT @Cantiague_Lead: What Great Principals Do Differently is a must read for new administrators! @ToddWhitaker #edbook

My favorite ed book is Restitution: Restructuring School Discipline by Diane Chelsom Gossen amazon.com/gp/aw/d/094433… #Edbook

As a parent & advocate I give a big shiny reco to Finnish Lessons - by @pasi_sahlberg #edbook

Can't choose just 1 #edbook Stop Stealing Dreams by Godin, squidoo.com/stop-stealing-… & Other People's Children by Delpit amazon.com/Other-Peoples-…

Teach Like a Champion #Edbook

My education book recommendation is 'Drive' by @DanielPink = autonomy, mastery & purpose #Edbook

One of my favorites is Results Now by Mike Schmoker. #Edbook

@tomwhitby: The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller. #Edbook @donalynbooks

The PRTI book was a great follow up support to the PLC books...#Edbook #Edchat

My education book recommendation is We Can't Teach What We Don't Know #Edbook #Edchat

Disrupting Class by Christensen. First book study I underwent as a new teacher. Helped me really understand 21st learning. #edchat #edbook

Ordered it this week RT @tomwhitby My education Book recommendation is The Connected Educator #Edbook #Edchat

#Edbook Mindset by Carol Dweck's changed how I approach kids, and even my own learning. bit.ly/Hcqykz

Over Schooled but Under Educated #Edbook

Another great #Edbook that I am currently reading is Mindest by Carol Dweck. Looking at how people learn and how they succeed #edchat

#Edbook Mindset by Carol Dweck's changed how I approach kids, and even my own learning.

My #Edbook recommendation: "Principles of Language Learning and Teaching" by Douglas Brown. Great book for #ELT #SLA #Edchat #TESL

Mindset by Dweck...#Edbook #Edchat

I always come back to How People Learn. #edbook research-based, readable. #Edchat

#Edchat #Edbook My education book recommendation is (in FR) "Ce que manager par projet veut dire" ISBN 2-7081-3261-x

one more: When Kids Can’t Read—What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers, 6-12 by Kylene Beers #reading #edchat #edbook

#Edchat #Edbook My education book recommendation is (in FR) "Les outils d'excellence du formateur" ISBN 2-7101-1718-5

Fave book for teacher inspiration John Wooden's They Call Me Coach #Edbook #teachers

#Edchat #Edbook My education book recommendation is (in FR) "Aider votre enfant à mieux apprendre" de Bruno HOURST ISBN 978-2-212-54038-3

My fav book: Good Questions: Great Ways to Differentiate Mathematics Instruction by Marian Small #mathchat #edchat #edbook

 @MinaBlazy: @teachingwthsoul my EdBook recommendation is "If You Don't feed the Teachers, They Eat the Students".” #edbook

"Where Good Ideas Come From" - Steven Johnson #edbook

For admins to understand organizational structure I'd recommend: Reframing Organizations by Bolman & Deal #Edbook #edchat #njed

#Edchat #Edbook My education book recommendation is (in FR) "Animer un stage de formation " de Nicolas JOUSSE ISBN 2-7081-2726-8

RT @tomwhitby: Make an education book recommendation with the hashtag #Edbook and watch the list grow when you search #Edbook #Edchat

#Edbook katie wood ray: the writing workshop

#Edbook Among Schoolchildren, Tracy Kidder- great read for beginning teachers or teachers wanting to recharge their batteries!

#Edchat #Edbook My education book recommendation is (in FR) "Au bon plaisir d'apprendre" de Bruno HOURST ISBN 2-10-049252-7

 @frankisibberson: @tomwhitby Choice Words by Peter Johnston #edbook” I agree!

All new teachers Harry Wong 1st days of School
And Kouzes&Posner's Leadership Challenge, And CITW 2nd edition

#Edchat #Edbook My education book recommendation is Homo Zappiens Growing Up in a Digital Age ISBN 1-85539-220-8

@tomwhitby Choice Words by Peter Johnston #edbook

#edbook #Edchat "If You Don't Feed The Teachers, They Eat The Students!" @edbook

I like Art as Experience by John Dewey #edbook #edchat

The Hurried Child #Edbook #edchat

"@mindi_r: @tomwhitby #edbook In The Middle by Nancie Atwell. But do I have to limit myself to just one?"//I endorse this one also!

#Edchat #Edbook My education book recommendation is (in FR) "Former sans ennuyer" de Bruno HOURST ISBN 2-7081-2757-8 I learned a lot from it

Fertilizers, Pills, And Magnetic Strips: The Fate Of Public Education In Ameri... amazon.com/dp/1593118929/… via @amazon #edbook #edchat

Catching Up or Leading the Way #Edbook #edchat #njed

@ToddWhitaker 's "What great...do differently" any by Todd Whitaker

My #edbook classic is The Basic School by Ernest Boyer. It calls for an education that's meaningful, purposeful, & connected. #edchat

"@SmilingTeach: @SmilingTeach: I book that truly influenced me was I Read It, But I Don't Get It by Chris Tovani. #Edbook" //Me too!

Would have to include the DuFour PLC books...shook things up a bit. #Edbook #Edchat

RT @tomwhitby: Here is a real life lesson on Hashtags: Make a recommendation of 1 education book that influenced you w/ #Edbook hashtag & see what results

Loved this one - applies to school leadership & ed advocacy on many levels: Switch - How to Change Things When Change is Hard #Edbook

@tomwhitby #edbook In The Middle by Nancie Atwell. But do I have to limit myself to just one?

@tweet2teech Mosaic of Thought is an awesome book! #Edbook


My #Edbook recommendation is Curriculum 21 edited by @HeidiHayesJacob

RT @tomwhitby: Do a search/create a column for #Edbook & make a recommendation of 1 influential education book using the #Edbook hashtag & watch list grow

Let's Put Kids First, Finally: Getting class size right #Edbook

#EdBook Stop Stealing Dream by Seth Godin. @ThisIsSethsBlog #EdChat

RT @tomwhitby: Here is a real life lesson on Hashtags: Make a recommendation of 1 education book that influenced you w/ #Edbook hashtag & see what results

What Great Principals Do Differently is a must read for new administrators! @ToddWhitaker #edbook

The single most influential thing I've ever read on Education. Emerson's "The American Scholar" vcu.edu/engweb/transce… #edbook #edchat

My #EdBook recommendation is "The Art of Problem Posing" - Brown&Walter. Opens schools' #math potential.

#Edchat #Edbook My education book recommendation is any books from Daniel GOLEMAN (Emotional Intelligence related...)

Differentiation in Action by Judith Dodge #edbook - Brilliant blend of psychology, brain research and pedagogy.

Kimberly Norton @Nortonk_118
RT@tomwhitby Getting Started-DuFour Reculturing Schools to Become PLC education book recommendation #Edbook #Edbook #Edchat

#Edchat #Edbook My education book recommendation is 5 Minds for the future from Howard GARDNER

Book I kept on my desk at every school where I was admin: What's Worth Fighting for in the Principalship by Michael Fullan #edbook #edchat

John Taylor Gatto's A Different Kind of Teacher #Edbook

RT @bethbarz: @tomwhitby #Edbook Drive by @DanielPink - understanding how to motivate students is pure gold in terms of pedagogy.

Education book that changed my life forever: I'd Rather Teach Peace by Colman McCarthy #Edbook @tomwhitby #FB

Results Now. #Edbook

First Days of School by Harry Wong #Edbook

RT @tomwhitby: Make an education book recommendation with the hashtag #Edbook

RT @web20classroom: RT @tomwhitby: Make an education book recommendation with the hashtag #Edbook and watch the list grow when you search #Edbook #Edchat

"@mistisikes: My education book recommendation is The Book Whisperer by @donalynbooks #edbook #edchat" one of my favorites too!

RT @tomwhitby: Make an education book recommendation with the hashtag #Edbook and watch the list grow when you search #Edbook #Edchat

#Edbook #Edchat Anything by Kelly Gallager but especially Deeper Reading and Write Like This @KellyGToGo

 @tomwhitby: Make an education book recommendation with the hashtag #Edbook and watch the list grow when you search #Edbook #Edchat#ntchat

Write Beside Them by @writer Changed my philosophy and my approach to teaching writing. My students thank you. #edbook

I just rediscovered Study Driven by Katie Wood Ray - accessible, readable, useful for teaching middle grade writes. #edbook #edchat

@tomwhitby #Edbook Drive by @DanielPink - understanding how to motivate students is pure gold in terms of pedagogy.

 @mistisikes: My education book recommendation is The Book Whisperer by @donalynbooks #edbook #edchat” MUST READ!!!

My book was written for business, but reflect on it often for educational leadership...The Knowing Doing Gap. #Edbook #Edchat

My education book recommendation is There Are No Shortcuts: Rafe Esquith #Edbook #Edchat

My education book recommendation is The Book Whisperer by @donalynbooks #edbook #edchat

RT @tomwhitby: Here is a real life lesson on Hashtags: Make a recommendation of 1 education book that influenced you w/ #Edbook hashtag & see what results

I would suggest reading Horace's School: Redesigning the American High School by Ted Sizer. #edchat #edbook

@SmilingTeach: I book that truly influenced me was I Read It, But I Don't Get It by Chris Tovani. #Edbook

My education book recommendation is The Global Achievement Gap by Tony Wagner #edbook #edchat

"Talks on Pedagogics: An Outline of the Theory of Concentration and Other Writings" Francis W. Parker #edbook

Mosaic of Thought changed my professional life and prompted me to get degree in reading #Edbook

My education Book recommendation is The Connected Educator #Edbook #Edchat

@tomwhitby I'd say @Kerileef 's 'Learning Futures' goo.gl/HKLWl #Edbook

Malcolm Gladwell's 'Outliers' #Edbook